Monday, March 23, 2009

where to begin?

A few weeks ago we had culture night where all the exchange students set up booths for their perspective countries and shared about their culture through food, pictures, pamphlets, music, and performances.

I took part in the USA booth.. unfortunately our booth was placed next to the German booth who had sponsorship from a wine company... (I know.. who gets sponsored by a wine company at a social residence hall function??!). So the German booth was ridiculously decked out and they all had these fancy, matching white outfits, along with sausages, pretzels, and lots of wine.

Our booth on the other hand.. was a bit more down to earth and arts and craft-e. We hand drew pictures of things that represented America and served chips, raisins, mac n cheese, and bacon. we also had a beer pong table set up in front of our booth.

Our booth is on the left... German booth is on the right.......


Although we didn't place in the "best booth" contest.. or the "best performance" contest, I'm proud to say we held our own when it came to the "best fashion runway" contest.
Here's three proud American boys from Boston... I think it was their strong walk and confident poses that won the judges over..



I also got to participate in the opening ceremony of cultural night, which involved representing America and popping a balloon.



The weekend of March 14-15 I spent with a family friend (Alice) back from NC and her cousin who came to HK for a 4 day vacation. We did a ridiculous amount of shopping and had delicious korean barbecue and noodles.


That same weekend I had one of the best nights I've had in Hong Kong. I went on a night hike with a couple other exchange kids to Lion Rock at 1am. Technically I think the trail was closed.. but we did it anyways. We actually bumped into some other hikers on our way up, only they all had helments with flashlights on them.. and we had.. nothing. We also bumped into 2 people sleeping at the top of the mountain in sleeping bags.. it was pretty awkward. Anyways, the view was amazing! the night was perfect, slightly chilly, but perfect.

can you see the shape of the lion head?


Amazing view.
Sadly we could only spot out 3 stars through the smog + light pollution

This past weekend I went to Singapore with Jenny to visit Aparna (my brother's girlfriend). Singapore was hot + humid + litter free + bit pricier but still cheap + diverse in culture, food, people, language + gorgeous.

I couldn't find my camera for the first half of the trip so I will be posting pictures when I get some from jenny :).

1 comment:

  1. "I think it was their strong walk and confident poses that won the judges over"

    Haha, that made me laugh. Dude, I am jealous about the Korean bbq.

    ReplyDelete