Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Random highlights

So I've already started getting lazy with the blog. Here's an update of things I can remember.

Last Last Tuesday
2-3.. or maybe it was monday?
I went to club Cliq for salsa night. Cliq is supposed to be the largest club in hong kong. It was quite fun. Although one of the guys who approached me happened to be a dance teacher.. and started teaching me. It was weird. I didn't like it. So other than that, it was fun and it made me miss dancing!

Last Last Thursday? 2-5
I went to a club in LKF with some exchange kids for a local girl's, who i hadn't met yet, birthday party. It was one of the nicer clubs I've been to so far, i think it was called Nine and it was on the 9th floor. It had a cute litte padio with some.. very provacative statues. also, you had to show your ID before u went in (18+) and no bags were allowed in the club area so you had to pay 30HK to check them in. This wasn't so bad b/c we didnt have to pay to get in (Wednesdays and Thursdays are ladies night). For guys it was 160HK. Anyways, even after all this..about an hour later i was asked my ID again after I was already in the club. Apparently.. I look 17. Not only that but it was a struggle to get my purse back because I couldn't remember the telphone number i wrote down.

Last Last Friday. 2-7
I went with some exchange kids to Stanely, only this time it was just a few of us and we just lounged around the bay area all day for some time in the sun while the weather was still cool.


Last Thursday 2-12
I went to Central with some friends of mine to take advantage of ladies night. During ladies night, all "ladies" get in for free and get free drinks. However, I stayed on the street most of the night, chatting with some friends and getting to know some new people from different places around the world. I had a microwaveable snack at 7-11 around 3am. then around 4am we hopped over to a club that was about to close which had a bunch of older westerners inside. An australian guy we met said it was his last night in Hong Kong and he didn't want to end the night just yet. So a local girl took us to a bar in Wan Chai (21+) but she knew a guy.. so we got in. They were having this event where different bands play from 6pm to 6am. So we had till 6 am. The band was from singapore maybe? anyways, they weren't too bad! they played in interesting set of cover songs.. from popular rap songs, twist and shout, some more oldies, and the killers, to a old German hard rock/metal song. At this bar.. we met 2 kids from Germany. I say kids b/c they looked younger than us. But they were really agressive and kind of scary..trying to get us to go to their place, so.. the end result was us running away from them. half of us caught the Metro, which just opened back up around 6am and the other half caught a taxi back. I opted for the Metro (it was cheaper). Oh and something funny. While we were sitting outside of the last bar these 2 prostitutes walked by and complimented my friend and I. It was sweet, funny, and weird all at the same time.

Club 97 and our free cosmos.. Aman (the boy) drank mine for me.

Last bar ( pretty easy to spot out the old westerners..)
and the band



Last Friday Night 2-13
This guy Mike planned a meeting for the Americans so we could figure out what we were going to at our booth and on stage for Culture Night. Cultural Night is where exchange students have the opportunity to group up with other kids from their home country and share food, performances, and information related to their culture with other students. So far there's 7 of us who have decided to make a USA booth. So we made dinner at this guy's apartment. He lives with 2 other guys from his school (Olin College of Engineering). they split the rent so its about 100USD per person per month. but 2 guys share 1 room .. where one of them sleeps on a windowsill. Anyways, dinner was good and talking to some americans was good. After getting some mochi balls (sweet desert with icecream inside.. u can get it at Trader Joes in the US) they guys took us up to the roof of their apartment. It was amazing. and so scary. It was just a small little platform with a tiny 2 foot wall overlooking the entire harbour. I was going to take a picture of the beautiful scene we had in front of us.. but then my camera battery died :(. We ended up staying up there for about an hour then we had to come back down to earth and go our seperate ways.


Here's us, minus one guy in the kitchen cookin and me taking the picture.. and another girl who couldn't make it b/c she stabbed herslef in the eye with mascara... don't worry shes ok now. We had shrimp spaghetti, oranges, pinneapples, and bread topped off with some fine red wine.

Saturday
(Valentines day!) 2-14
I had my first ballroom lesson. A couple I met back in the states from China told me about some Lithuanian teachers they had in Hong Kong, so I contacted them and attended one of their group lessons. It was great to dance again! I was even sore afterwords.. which I guess is a good thing. It wasn't too pricey either.. about 15 USD per person after the cost was split between 5 girls at the lesson. Although, I definitely wouldnt mind if it was cheaper... The teachers were nice. and the guy teacher was completely different than what I expected. He was a giant. The studio wasn't too bad either. Although it took me a while to find it on a tiny busy street on Hong Kong Island.

Afterwords, I met up with my friend Brigitte and some of her local friends and we shopped and ate sushi in the Causeway Bay area. Being Valentines day, I noticed several things.
1. they have people standing around with free hug signs! this reminded me of home.
2. there were tons of people selling flowers.. and girls you could take pictures with..(see picture below)
3. the subway even had little love messages on the little screen where they tell u what stop is next. (hearts and all)
4. a bazillion couples.
5. Valentines day sales!
6. not so happy couples.
7. lots of guys with bouquets of flowers in the morning and lots of girls with bouquets at night.
8. bouquets of flowers with stuffed animals inside...hahha
9. this one couple we saw at the end of the night were standing on a busy street fighting. the girl was crying and yelling at the boy to "just leave" and to "leave her alone" and the boy just kind of stood there.. looking down .. probably trying to consol her ? it was kinda sad and funny. dunno what happened.

anyways.. Happy belated Valentines day!

Flower girls

Valentines day photo set up in the mall. each side had different valentines day inspired seats for you to take pictures in
We were going to go take some pictures in those Japanese photo booths.. but there were so many couples there.. and a really long line.. so we left :/

Valentines Day Dinner (hot pot + sushi)
btw thats sea urchin (the orange stuff on that wooden board sticking out of the bowl).

Our hot pot had soy insed of water! that was a first for me.

Recently...
I've been attending a yoga class thats on the 2nd floor of my dorm. It happens mon, wed, and fri at 8:30pm and the best thing is its FREE.

In order to save some money, I've been trying to buy only 1 meal a day and make the rest myself. I cooked my first meal. (instant noodles with an egg and some vegetables.. it wasn't as good as I had hoped it would be..and the egg tasted funny.)


I discovered these little shops where little boxes are rented out to different people to sell their stuff.


A girl in my class was sporting this necklace.. and kindly let me take a picture of it. Cute rite?
I discovered 3 person rooms in my Residence Halls. They're the same size as the regular rooms... just with 3 beds 3 desks and a larger fridge... also its a lot cheaper. (ridiculous..no?)

I discovered WiFi in a booth.


Oh i almost forgot. Last Last wednesday.. a couple of the halls had a valentines day event where girls were paired with guys and did different activities and games together. It was ok. Only that I didn't know any other exchange students doing it.. and the ones that did.. were in a different group so .. yeah. Here's some pictures.

Romantic decorations + a screen you can't see with pictures of people making out..that was really awkward.
Sweets. (chocolate, cotton candy, tang yuan, fruit juice, mini doughnuts, and some others)

Cute little swing for picture taking.
Game. (who can drink water faster?.. with someone on their back..)
Game 2. (how fast can u take clothes pins off someone and put them on someone else.. blind folded. below is a demo. when we did it.. there was a line of like 8 of us.. and i was blind folded)
Game 3. probably my favorite. Eating contest with a banana, an apple, and noodles. Only they can't use their hands and are being fed by girls who are blindfolded. poor guys.





4 comments:

  1. Dude...your trip looks so fun!! You are constantly doing cool things. Way to go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love all the random games you get to play! I think you should get on of those necklaces...

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a sketch old white guy in the club, and also what a great picture in the background...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've heard of it...just never got around to seeing it. But I'll definitely check it out. Also, your pictures are still awesome. I'm a little jealous, your study abroad seems so much more action packed than mine :P

    ReplyDelete